Monday, July 11, 2011

rhinestone cowgirl birthday party

What a weekend! We threw a little rhinestone cowgirl shindig for the Bug -- and her great grandmother -- to celebrate their birthdays at our family farm Saturday evening. Tutus and ten gallon hats were highly encouraged.

The best part about family parties is that it's 100% ok to make it a potluck. All of my family members pitched in with the food. From my brother's pulled pork, to Grandma's potato salad, to my friend's macaroni salad -- it was truly a family affair. Did you see the awesome pony cake my uncle made? The kids LOVED it. We also had homemade mac 'n cheese and applesauce on the menu for the mini-me crowd.

Of course, everyone was wearing their cowgirl finest. The Bug had on her newest tutu (which I picked up from Wee Chic), a white cowgirl hat, and a hot pink tee I embellished with a rhinestone horseshoe iron-on from JoAnn Fabrics.

The farm was turned into a sea of pink, purple, ponies and sparkles. We gave the tables a layered look with cut purple fabric remnants over white vinyl cloths. Festive and -- more importantly -- practical. Spills wiped right up and I wasn't worried about stains.

The centerpieces were uber simple. Potted sunflowers from Wegman's wrapped in pink paper with purple ribbon. I threw in some play-sized ponies and painted purle barns for good measure. They kept pint sizer fingers busy while the adults could eat!

Each little attendee got to take home a handcrafted stick pony. Don't look too close - - I'm not that crafty! But when I saw these adorable monsters on Babyccino Kids, I knew I had to take a crack at it. They were definitely a hit.

To keep everyone active, the girls decorated pink foam cowgirl hats with felt shapes, foam creations and glitter. Sparkles were uber important. Pre-dinner everyone had a chance to swim in the pool, too. As one guest remarked: It's like summer camp! Crafts, swimming and ...

Pony rides. The real star of the show was Mr. Chips, who gave each attendee under 4 a 'real cowgirl' ride. Even he wore purple!

The Bug had a blast! Many many thanks to all the friends and family who celebrated with us.

For other party ideas, check out the Bug's Rainbow Ladybug Birthday last year!

3 comments:

Jen Snyder said...

What an adorable party! :)

(cool) progeny said...

Thanks Jen!

Anonymous said...

Cowgirl hat art is as varied as the wearers themselves, from classic western designs like stars and horseshoes to more modern interpretations with brightly colored flowers or feathers.